Note to Softpedia users: We are aware that the version of Skype we are listing has a different version number than the official one – this is caused by the fact that we prefer to distribute the toolbar-free version of Skype, rather than the official edition.
Computers are no longer used exclusively by technology enthusiasts or developers, as they can also be used for graphic design, movie playing or chatting with friends. For the last purpose, Skype is undoubtedly one of the most popular tools, used on a daily basis by millions of people worldwide.
This software offers users the possibility to make calls over the Internet, providing high audio and video quality if the Internet connection is good enough.
Before being able to make any calls, users need to input their username and password, or create an account if they do not have one. Once this step is completed, contacts can be searched and added, so as to initiate a conversation which can be either a voice one or a common written one (emoticons are also supported).
The most appreciated feature of Skype is probably its video calling, which enables users all over the world to get in touch with their friends and see them, provided they have a webcam. Also, if the call is between two Skype accounts, it is free of charge, as fees are applied only when making a call to a real phone number.
In addition to chat, Skype supports conferences (more than two users can take part in the same conversation), file transfers and screen sharing. Moreover, its settings can be easily customized to ensure users’ privacy is preserved.
The conclusion is that Skype is a must-have application for those who chat regularly or want to keep in touch with their friends, while still being able to see and hear them.
With Skype – by the way, it works seamlessly with your internet connection – you can chat away with free Skype-to-Skype calls and never worry about cost, time or distance. Share the love and get your friends to download Skype so you can talk, chat or make video calls for nothing. You can also make local, long distance and international calls to phones and mobiles at great rates too.
Skype is jam-packed with great features to help you stay in touch with friends, family and co-workers, share your thoughts and find the information you need.
You can use it on a computer or get Skype on your mobile so you can keep in touch on the move, whatever you’re up to. Skype works on a wide range of mobiles, plus on devices like the PlayStation Portable (PSP). There’s also a great range of WiFi and cordless phones with Skype built-in.
Just for starters you can instant message with anyone on your contact list or even use group chat to chat with up to a hundred people. You could hold a conference call with up to nine other people to organize a get-together and then use SkypeFind to search for the perfect venue to hold it.
There are also really cool video features. All you need is a webcam to make free video calls or even take photos of yourself to personalize Skype.
If you use Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, GMail, Hotmail or your mail account with Yahoo! then it’s a simple task to import contacts and get them all onto your Skype. If they don’t have Skype yet you can send them invite to download it – then you can talk for free (and maybe you’ll even get a nice bouquet of flowers and a chocolate bar from them to say thanks for getting them onto Skype? We’d like to think that’s in order).
Got friends on MySpace? Get them to download Skype or MySpace’s version of Skype. Then add them to your Skype contact list and you’ve got even more people to talk to for free. Simply search for them in Skype and click the MySpaceIM tab in the search results.
Adding someone to your contact list is easy. But you can also add people who are not yet on Skype and call them on their phones and mobiles at pretty cheap rates wherever they are.
Also, if your Microsoft Outlook contacts have phone numbers, you can have them show up on your contact list so you can call them. You’ll need Skype Credit or a monthly subscription to make calls to phones and mobiles.
Use Skype to give your friends a call and voice chat with them at the highest quality on the market.
- Make free calls to anyone else on Skype, anywhere in the world
- See who you are talking to with free video calls
- Chat with up to 100 people in group chats
- Conference call with up to four people for free
- Call ordinary phones with SkypeOut
- Superior sound quality
- Works with all firewall, NAT and routers ? nothing to configure!
- Friends list shows you when your Skype friends are online and ready to talk or chat
- Super-simple and easy to use
- Your calls are encrypted “end-to-end” in order to safeguard your privacy
- Based on cutting edge peer-to-peer technology developed by the creators of Kazaa and Joltid
- Windows XP required for video calls
- Internet connection (broadband is best, GPRS is not supported for voice calls, and results may vary on a satellite connection).
- Speakers and microphone – built-in or separate.
- A webcam, if you want to make video calls.
- We also recommend that you have at least 400 MHz processor, 128 MB RAM and 15 MB free disk space on your hard drive.
- Some of you have reported that your computer processor usage is high when Skype for Windows desktop is running with Chrome as your default browser. We’d like to let you know that we have identified and fixed the issues with this update.
- We’ve also addressed a few other bugs including enhanced stability during both group video call and in High DPI mode.
- Displays ad banners or other types of advertising material during its runtime