PRTG Network Monitor is a handy and professional network monitoring application. The software’s features include: up/downtime monitoring, traffic and usage monitoring, packet sniffing, in-depth analysis and concise reporting.
A user-friendly web-based interface allows users to quickly configure the network devices and sensors they wish to monitor.
All common methods for network usage data acquisition are supported: SNMP and WMI, Packet Sniffing, and NetFlow.
PRTG Network Monitor includes more than 30 sensor types for all common network services (e.g. PING, HTTP, SMTP, POP3, FTP etc.), allowing users to monitor networks for speed and failures. As soon as an outage occurs, alerts are sent via email, SMS, pager messages and other means.
Request times and downtimes are recorded in an internal database, making it easy to compile performance, downtime and SLA reports.
Note: The Commercial Editions are required if you want to monitor more than 10 sensors for more than the 1 minute minimum.
- Installation & Usability:
- Automatic Network discovery
- Preconfigured device templates with recommended sets of sensors for various devices
- Highly interactive and customizable Interface for optimized usability
- Configuration is arranged in a tree-like hierarchy with inheritance of settings
- Architecture & Performance:
- Modern, powerful software engine
- Scales up to several 10,000 sensors for one installation
- Allows load distribution using remote probes for CPU-intense monitoring like e.g. packet sniffing
- Network Monitoring Features:
- “Smart” sensors that e.g. automatically discover quad-core CPUs and and monitor them individually as well as the total CPU load
- User Interface:
- The integrated Webserver supports SSL security, multiple logins, user groups and an HTTP-based API for interfacing with other applications
- Monitoring results are viewable in various perspectives
- User can create “Maps” which bring together monitoring status, graphs and tables in customizable layouts and with customizable backgrounds like network charts
- 64 MB RAM (128 MB and more recommended)
- between 25kb and 300kb disk space per sensor per day for the monitoring data database
- TCP/IP Network Connection
- Microsoft .NET Framework
- Internet browser
- Bugfix [WebGUI]: Ajax Web GUI now accepts Internet Explorer 11
- Bugfix [WebGUI]: Fixed alarm gauges in the Ajax Web GUI, plus several other fixes and improvements
- Bugfix [Maps]: In current Chrome browser, public maps (that are shown, e.g., permanently on a dashboard) had to be reloaded manually once after a PRTG core server restart. Now they again keep refreshing until the server is reachable again.
- Bugfix [Cluster]: Cluster IDs were not saved correctly during cluster setup