Many people prefer to decide on a specific route before leaving in a vacation or prior to starting some open-air activities like hiking or going on a family trip in the middle of nature. In case you are interested in creating a personalized map and decide on a pah to follow to a certain destination, a utility like OkMap might be exactly what you need.
Feature packed and not to difficult to operate, this software solution is able to use GPS collected data and combine all the necessary elements into a custom map that can then be uploaded to the navigational system.
The interface is not among the most appealing ones, but it will serve its purpose very well and make it possible for you to add, edit and save the data needed to make the maps you want. There are numerous viewing options and scaling can be done in a wide variety of modes, from 1 meter per pixel up to 100 kilometer per pixel.
With support for waypoints, tracks and routes, OkMap is also able to handle Google Earth and Google Maps files. Thus, GPX maps can be converted to vectorial data and vice versa, waypoints into toponyms and the other way round.
The navigation related features of this program are numerous as it can establish satellite connections and even comes with a NMEA simulator. The accompanying utilities are also many and meant to provide access to maps server, routing and geocoding functions.
Various converters are available, like those for distances and coordinates, while a powerful calculator for complex math expressions is included as well. On the whole, OkMap can certainly impress through its wide array of capabilities and it should rise to the expectations of the more experienced users.
OkMap is a powerful program which helps you work on your computer with scanned digital maps. OkMap can also import vectorial data from the most common formats and DEM data relevant to height information.
Through these maps, you can organize your paths by creating waypoints, routes and tracks on your computer monitor, and upload this data to your GPS. To make it easier, OkMap provides you also with autorouting and geocoding functions.
Data collected by your GPS can be downloaded on your computer, stored and displayed on the maps. It can also be used to create different types of statistics.
By connecting a GPS to your laptop, you can plot your position on maps in real-time. If you are connected to the network you can constantly send your position to a remote computer, or receive the position of your companions on your computer and display the related tracks on maps in real time.
OkMap can also interface Google Maps and Google Earth. With Google Maps you can get portions of maps immediately available in OkMap. With Google Earth you can view your paths and your maps also in 3D.
- Calibration / display raster maps (over 30 image formats)
- Display vectorial maps
- Display hybrid maps (raster + vectorial data)
- Ability to open multiple maps simultaneously
- 9 cartographic projections of the most used
- Database with over 500 predefined projections by geographic area
- Database with over 300 datum
- Viewing 3D raster maps on Google Earth (for supported image formats)
- Map add-ons management (icons, comments)
- Vectorial data management (point, multipoint, line, polygon)
- GPX data management (waypoints, tracks, routes)
- Selecting multiple objects with the mouse
- Context menu (right mouse)
- Auto-info function
- Zoom, autofit functions
- Moving map function in 3 modes
- Customizing toolbar
- Showing yes / no toolbar
- Showing yes / no statusbar
- Check new releases at startup
- Processor: 400 Mhz (recommended 1 GHz)
- RAM: 128 MB or higher (recommended 512 MB)
- HDD: at least 35 MB
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP 1
- ECW activex controls
- Internet Explorer 5 or above
- Maps: Reorganization of the context menu.
- Maps: New function “Find in peakfinder.org”.
- Maps server: New xml format.
- Maps server: “Wanderkarte Riding and Hiking” as base layer.
- Track graph: New context menu.
- Track graph: Added “Auto info” check.
- Download DEM data: Fixed a bug when there aren’t data to download.