News for Windows 8 is a free app for Windows 8 that can be downloaded from the Microsoft app store. Some OS editions have this utility built into them.
This is a news reader that automatically provides the latest information from your favorite websites in a clean and modern environment that is smoothly integrated into the Start Screen through the Pin feature.
The tool supplies daily headlines from the Bing website, and lets you search for new sources (e.g. international headlines) or add your own ones (e.g. software, games, gadgets, hobbies). It is possible to add as many sections as you want, and seamlessly navigate them using the mouse cursor or arrow keys.
As far as settings are concerned, you can change the app and content language, clear history for news sources, customize the text font to adjust it to your Windows 8 device, download news for offline reading or share it with your friends, as well as drag the entire app frame to the left or right side of the screen, in order to read news while carrying on with normal activity on the computer.
The Microsoft app is very light on the system resources, using low CPU and RAM. It has a good reaction speed and includes smooth GUI animations. No errors were shown in our tests, and the tool did not hang or crash. In conclusion, News for Windows 8 is a very nice addition to any Windows 8 user who wants to be up-to-date with the latest news in an elegant manner.
News for Windows 8.1 is a useful application for all those who want to stay in touch with the latest events.
The app allows you to read the latest titles from various news sources and to access them directly from the Start Screen by using the Pin feature.
You can customize the text font of the articles in order to comfortably read them on your device.
Note: While the News app is included by default in some editions of Windows 8 and 8.1, it can also be installed separately.
- Add A Topic – Pick topics you care about —like your favorite sports team, celebrity, or gadget—and follow stories about them.
- International Editions – Interested in what’s making the news in other parts of the world? Bing News allows you to easily add editions from other countries.
- Offline Reading – Download your news and keep up with the day’s headlines even when you’re not connected to the internet.
- Breaking News – Make sure you’re the first to know about major stories with our news alerts.
- Sharing – Share news stories with your friends.
- Full-screen image support – Tap on an image to see it in full-screen and see a slideshow of all images in the article.
- Video and Slideshows – Improved representation of videos and slideshows.