K-Lite Codec Pack Basic contains the necessary and suffice codec components to enable the user to play audio and video files without a problem. It offers support for both 32-bit and 64-bit codecs.
It is small-sized, so you can carry it around on a USB flash disk or similar storage device, in order to install it on any machine. Depending on the user’s skill level, the installer can be picked from simple, normal or advanced mode.
Supported components include DirectShow audio decoding filters (LAV Audio), video deocoding filters (LAV Video), a source filter (LAV Splitter) and a subtitle filter (DirecVobSub), along with tools (Codec Tweak Tool, Win7DSFilterTweaker) and shell extensions (Icaros ThumbnailProvider and PropertyHandler).
The user is able to adjust settings for each codec separately, thanks to the configuration panels. Otherwise, the default options give you the possibility of playing audio and video stream without any problems.
K-Lite Codec Pack Basic has minimal impact on system resources and commits the new modifications rapidly. We have not come across any issues in our tests, since the application did not cause the OS to hang, crash or pop up error dialogs. There are two other K-Lite Codec Pack editions, namely Standard and Full.
K-Lite Codec Pack Basic comprises a codec package intended to encode and decode various audio/video formats to ensure that you can play all the movies you download from the Internet.
K-Lite Codec Pack Basic is a light edition of K-Lite Codec Pack Full and includes the necessary codecs for playing formats such as MKV, AVI, MP4, OGM, and FLV.
- Updated MPC-HC to version 22.214.171.124
- Updated LAV Filters to version 0.60.1-22-gb8a8b83
- Updated madVR to version 0.87.4 DC3
- Updated MediaInfo Lite to version 0.7.67
- Updated Codec Tweak Tool to version 5.7.8
- Major performance improvements for the internal subtitle renderer of MPC-HC
- Offers to change the homepage for web browsers installed in the system
- Offers to change the default search engine for web browsers installed in the system
- Offers to download or install software or components (such as browser toolbars) that the program does not require to fully function