FMSLogo is a lightweight Windows utility that provides an intuitive working environment for helping you use the Logo programming language for learning different subjects.
This application aims at providing users with a simple solution for learning them how to program. It features a powerful set of commands for manipulating a screen object called a “turtle” which allows users to produce line graphics.
It sports a clean and straightforward GUI that offers quick access to the dedicated pane where you can insert commands. This way, you can draw lines, triangles, squares, polygons, or other objects.
The application enables users to insert image files, print or save the generated information to BMP or GIF format, select the pen size, thickness and color, customize the commands written in the console in terms of font style, size and color, as well as zoom in or out.
Furthermore, the tool provides a set of useful buttons which are positioned near the console. This way, you can easily execute commands, trace all the procedures, stop the program from processing the instructions, and pause the process for examining variables or making changes.
FMSLogo gives users the possibility to insert a wide range of commands related to different subjects or fields, such as data structure (e.g. selectors, predicated, queries), communication (e.g. transmitters, receivers, file access, hardware and DLL communications), arithmetic operations (numeric operation, random numbers), logical operations, macro commands, as well as directory, Windows, networking, or multimedia commands.
During our testing we have noticed that the program carries out a task very quickly and without errors throughout the entire process. It manages to remain light on the system resources, so it doesn’t hamper computer performance, nor interfere with other applications’ functionality.
All in all, FMSLogo is a handy application designed to help you learn the Logo programming language quickly and with minimum effort. Thanks to its intuitive layout, it is suitable even for less experienced users.
FMSLogo is a reliable and fun implementation of the Logo programming environment and it has a wide range of uses, from exploring mathematics to creating games.
FMSLogo (contrasted with other Logo dialects) has an easy-to-use GUI that encourages learning, especially for young children, making it ideal for elementary school computer labs.
- Simple GUI that encourages learning.
- Provides support for exploring diverse disciplines, including mathematics, engineering, art, music, and robotics.
- Is smaller than most other Logo environments.
- Runs fine on computers that are 10 years old.
- A strong, international user community with over a decade of classroom experience.
- Pentium class processor
- Minimum 16 MB RAM
- Implement feature #94; PPROP, GPROP, and REMPROP now run in O(log N).
- Fix inconsistent behavior in the wxWidgets version where pressing the up arrow from the commander input to the history didn’t clear the commander input.
- Fix inconsistent behavior in the wxWidgets version of SELECTBOX where pressing OK when there were no choices threw a Stopping error, instead of outputting 1, as the OWL version does.
- Various updates to the German manual.